Arrival – 7:50-8:10
- If you arrive prior to car line commencing, use ONLY lanes 2 & 3 to park. Lane 1 (curb lane) is reserved for Before Care drop off only. Lane 1 should only fill under staff member direction
- Siblings/car poolers in both schools? Drop off early (7:40 am car line begins); Pick up later (2:50 pm)
- The drop off zone is the flagpole forward. Do NOT let children out until you have passed the flag pole and ONLY when staff has given the “Unload” announcement…even if your children are late. It’s better to be tardy than hurt (or worse).
- If you are new, or uncomfortable, you may take your child out of the car, but you must NOT leave your car unattended. Simply remove them from their car seat and stay with them until a staff member picks them up; as soon as a staff member has taken them, please return to the driver’s seat to avoid holding up the line. For younger students, the staff member will physically guide your child to the sidewalk and turn them over to another staff member.
Dismissal- 2:30 (K-3), 2:40 (4-5), 2:50 (6-8)
- If you are YELLOW (K-3) line and you arrive very early, pull all the way to the crosswalk by the front door; please do not block it. It’s best to fill lane 1 & 2 first to avoid blocking parked cars.
- RED (4-5) line should stop at the end of the row; do not enter the yellow line.
- BLUE (6-8) lane should stop just south of the crosswalk; please do not block the crosswalk.
- Your car tag must be hanging from the mirror with the color/name facing outward. (Laying it on the dash makes it difficult to see. If it is difficult to hang, use a string and loop it around the mirror.)
- If you enter the wrong color line or your child is not ready when called – don’t panic! You will be asked to go around the circle again or park to retrieve your child. We haven’t lost them…they were probably visiting with friends or may have gone to the restroom (which we discourage during dismissal as they have had the opportunity beforehand).
- If you have siblings in both schools, each child should follow their school’s procedure or the older can go to the Primary and wait with the younger sibling or carpooler. Do not instruct your older child to pick up the younger one; that can cause confusion with the staff and puts the burden on the older child – they have friends they want to visit with and may not be as cognizant of the whereabouts of the child as a teacher would be.
- Please don’t motion, call out to your child, or expect them to step off the sidewalk until the staff member has instructed them to do so.
- There is no loading at or past the curve by the playground. Do not expect your child to enter your car there – it is dangerous as that is a blind spot.
General Car Line Reminders:
- PLEASE follow staff directions and the rules! If everyone follows the rules and listens to staff our car line runs like a choreographed ballet. But just as in a beautiful dance, one incorrect move could result in tragedy.
- Having the mentality of, “It’s just one person” results in having many people think “It’s just one person” and then there are many breaking the rules.
- Be patient with us, especially the first few days as we learn your child; all staff members may not know all children by sight the first few days.
- Remember we are educators, not traffic control officers – we do the best we can, but many people are just learning.
- If your car breaks down immediately notify a staff member and we will try to push the car over to the side.
- Please remember when walking…use the crosswalks. Even though it may take a few seconds longer, you are teaching your child a valuable lesson. Cutting between cars in the car line (even when cars are stopped) teaches them that it is okay to take such action and they may not always be as cautious as you; most importantly, it sets a poor example.
- Car line is not the time to talk with teachers (or the principal). We are on “patrol” and should be focused on keeping your child safe. If I (or a teacher), doesn’t notice or speak to you, please don’t be offended; we are on a mission. If you need to talk to us, we would be happy for you to email us or schedule an appointment through the office.
- If you would like to volunteer to help at car line, please contact either principal.